Is this solutions are good for your problems?

When the Black Dog Bites, An Alternative to Antidepressants

Over thirty years ago I went to a counselor to help me deal with some huge changes happening in my life. My marriage had ended and I had three young children to care for alone. Her first suggestion, even before talking to me, was to start taking antidepressants. My response was, "Don't I have good reason to feel depressed?" I didn't take her suggestion and I'm glad for whatever instinct prompted me to turn her down. I know now that once you start taking antidepressants it is very difficult to stop.

Here's why:
Neurotransmitters are chemicals that transfer signals from one neuron to the next. Serotonin and norepinephrine are two chemicals that deal with mood and anxiety regulation. When these chemicals are released they bind to the receptors on the receiving neuron. Any of the chemical that does not bind to the receiving neuron is reabsorbed back into the sending neuron.

This is called reuptake. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI's) and serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRI's) are two types of antidepressants that target these two neurotransmitters and, as their names imply, prevent the reuptake process. As a result there is an increased amount of these mood altering chemicals available to be transferred from one neuron to the next. So when a person who has been using antidepressants for an extended period of time decides to stop they can experience what is called "discontinuation syndrome". 

When the reuptake process begins working again the person may experience all the symptoms they were having before they began using antidepressants but to a greater degree.
Another consideration when using antidepressants are the wide variety of possible side effects. These include anxiety, nausea, loss of appetite, nervousness, insomnia, sexual problems, headaches, dry mouth and constipation. While some cause weight loss others cause weight gain.

The most common complaint I've heard from friends who use or have used antidepressants is a numbing of the emotions. They say they no longer feel depressed, but then they no longer feel much of anything.

I would never suggest anyone stop using antidepressants. I would never suggest they not try them. That is for each person to decide for themselves. I understand how difficult depression is to live with.

It doesn't just come out of nowhere. At least not for me. It could be a sense of being overwhelmed, or slighted. Someone says or does something that hurts my feelings (it's still amazingly easy to hurt my feelings). Maybe I watched too much news. However it starts, it doesn't come out of nowhere. First there is a nagging feeling of irritation with others that quickly transmutes into a certainty of my own inadequacies.

From there it spirals downward into a heaviness that makes it difficult to function. And then I want to eat something, or smoke something, or take a nap. Years ago I would spend entire days asleep on the couch then wake up in time to go to bed and sleep through the night. That desire to sleep my life away hasn't happened for a very long time. I do still feel that heaviness though. It happens fairly regularly and somewhat predictably. As I keep saying. It doesn't just come out of nowhere.

Probably the reason I keep bringing that up is because I used to think it did come out of nowhere. I was suddenly just depressed one day. I know better now because of my meditation practice.

Meditation will not get rid of your depression. I can't really say how it would help you with that. I can tell you what it has done for me.
Because of my meditation practice I can recognize the signs and causes of depression. I realize the main cause is my own irrational thoughts. Meditation has also given me the courage to admit that my thoughts can be irrational. With a regular meditation practice, I began to hear my thoughts before I reacted to them. I realize now that I can choose to react or not. I'm the one in charge of my life. I choose how I react to things. Being more aware of your thoughts is one of the most amazing benefits of meditation. It's literally life-changing.

So now I try to choose not to react to my irrational thoughts. Sometimes it's a struggle. But it's a struggle that makes me more human. More caring and compassionate. It helps me feel more deeply, not less.

Winston Churchill was a person who experienced depression. He would say, "The black dog has bitten me today," to describe it. If you have days when you feel bitten by the black dog, I would like to suggest you try meditation. The benefits are innumerable and there are no unpleasant side effects. Only a deeper understanding of the human condition we all share.


Susan L Qualls has decades of experience practicing and teaching meditation, qigong and fitness techniques. Please visit her website at http://www.susanlq.com.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Susan_L_Qualls

No comments:

Post a Comment